CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lemon Cream Cupcakes

What is it about lemons that make it really feel like spring? Technically, they ripen in the winter, but for some reason lemons are in the same category as Easter and bunnies and orange blossoms and pleasant weather. Growing up we had three lemon trees in our yard (my brothers and sister could tell you stories about the havoc they have wreaked with those lemons). So lemons were always in abundance and my mom always made lemon bars and fresh lemonade. Mmmm. I love lemons. Anyway, I had a bag of lemons waiting to be used, so today for a family dinner I made Lemon Cream cupcakes with a Lemon Cream Cheese frosting. They are so yummy and I wanted to share the recipe. Both of the recipes are adapted from allrecipes.com.

Lemon Cream Cupcakes
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c sour cream


In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream (batter will be thick). Fill paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 c of batter.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove towire racks to cool completely. Frost.


Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c butter, softened
1 c confectioners sugar
2 Tbl lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 1/4 c confectioners sugar


Cream butter and cream cheese well. Add 1 cup confectioners sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well. Add the remaining confectioners sugar to achieve the consistency you want. Frost cupcakes!


* I doubled the frosting recipe because I knew I wanted to frost the cupcakes with the large star tip, and that always takes more frosting. And, I hate having half a package of cream cheese just sitting in my fridge. It always goes bad. I also added more lemon juice, but that's just a personal preference.


Cade couldn't get enough and as I was frosting the cupcakes he kept asking me to put a "star" on his finger. I couldn't resist everytime because he'd stick his skinny finger out and say, "Pleeeeease Mommy" and then give a cute little giggle when I did. So, any moms looking for some bonus points with the kids make some "cuppacakes." (I'll admit it, I am...the bonus points always seem to go to Daddy.)

5 comments:

Rachel

I was just debating what to do with my lemons an hour ago. Now I have a plan! Can I borrow your star tip tomorrow?

Julie

I love lemon anything.looks yummy. I will have to give them a try.

Jules

THose sound really good. We have a lemon tree and on my to do list today is to juice the last 2 bags. I give them out to as many people as I can.

The MacMizzles

Jummmmy, I will try this out indeed. Thanks for the post.

Ron and Lynn McMillan

I gained two pounds looking at those ! Yummy......